Benefits Of Using Google My Maps
One of the more unique tools offered by Google in recent months is its new “My Maps” functionality. The ability to use for real world marketing, online marketing, SEO, boosting your YouTube videos, boosting awareness of your website’s (or other web property’s) images, inner pages and posts, and “Tier 2” link building is impressive.
What Is “My Maps”?
Unlike regular Google Maps, which promotes specific locations such as your corporate headquarters or store locations, this tool enables you to make an indefinite number of “maps” which you can customize and use to show the public several aspects of your business. For example, you can create a custom My Maps map of:
- Cities where your customers or clients are located anywhere around the world
- Specific locations where you may have been a public speaker
- Locations where you have been an exhibitor at trade shows
- Event venues where you have performed or had your products (or services) used
- Any other way you can think of displaying relevant geographic information in a visual manner rather than a simple list
Why Should I Consider Using This My Maps Method? What Benefit Can It Give Me To Make My Phone Ring Or Otherwise Grow My Business?
These are great questions!
Since this is a Google-owned property, which you can access using your Google account that you likely already use for YouTube/Gmail/Docs/Blogger (Blogspot) blogs/etc., you will easily be able to create many of these maps. The benefits are many, including the flexibility to highlight subsets of your business such as “Client Locations In 2015” (and you can do another My Map for a previous year like 2014) or some of the benefits mentioned earlier.
In terms of online marketing and SEO benefits, you surprisingly can get more benefit out of these My Maps than you may realize. Here are some specific things you can do with these Maps:
- Most people don’t know that these My Maps can rank on their own in the search engines, much like a YouTube video can rank on its own. Be sure to do proper keyword research and put the keywords in the correct My Maps fields
- In the description field include your business “NAP” (for citations) and your phone number, if appropriate
- In the description field link to your website, your social media properties, and any other web properties that make sense to promote (e.g. a press release distribution account central location, YouTube channel, guest post that features your business favorably, etc.)
- Embed optimized YouTube videos in the specific map marker locations to help with local SEO for videos
- Embed optimized (including geo-tagged) images in specific map marker locations
- Link to inner pages on your website (or other web properties) which are relevant to the geographic area defined by the map marker
- Much more
What To Do With These My Maps Once They Are Created?
You can do several things with these custom My Maps, both with the direct link and using iFrame embed code. You can:
- Embed the My Maps iFrame code on your website, blog or other primary web property
- Share the link to the My Maps URL on your social media properties
- Share the link in any e-mail newsletter you have
- Make a QR code to the specific URL and share the code on print materials at trade shows, business cards, or other marketing done in the real world
- Have the iFrame code get embedded on third-party web properties to send traffic to the My Maps page
- Many other ways to market the link to the My Maps page (URL)
If you would like help on creating, marketing, getting search engine marketing benefits, or getting real world benefits from these custom Google My Maps then you are welcome to contact us. We can help you gain more exposure to the My Map as well as promote your website and other web properties.
Examples Of These My Maps
Here is an example of a My Map for an optometrist in Dallas who wanted to promote the neighboring businesses near his office location:
Here is an interior designer based in Dallas, listing the nearby cities and suburbs where she has clients:
Here is a DFW real estate agent who lists some North Texas new neighborhoods where the home builders are offering incentives for prospective home buyers:
Here is a Map of client location history for a defense attorney who specializes in health care fraud cases such as those pertaining the False Claims Act, CLIA, Medicaid billing, anti-kickback and similar medical industry situations:
Here is a My Map featuring some of the locations of a commercial modular construction manufacturing company’s recently completed projects across the United States:
And here is a ranch and farm real estate broker’s My Maps listing of counties and towns featuring recently sold ranches and agricultural properties in Texas and Oklahoma: